Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday State of Confusion - Marketing ploy?????




This will be a short post, mainly because I am a little speechless and confused.  Maybe an author will come across this and shed some light on the subject.

So, early this morning, I came across a blog post promoting an author I had never heard of before.  His books seem interesting, and the subject matter is one that I enjoy reading.  The ratings of his books are highly rated and some of the snippets of the reviews I read praised his writing.  So, I went ahead and ordered both of his books (in paperback....taking a gamble here) and went about my day. 

Fast forward to this afternoon.....I am on Facebook and said author has posted the following:
On July 4th, I am going to remove In Love with a Master from Amazon. After this date, the book will no longer be available for download/purchase.
This is a pretty dramatic step.
No author likes to pull a book from sale, but sadly I feel there is no other solution in this instance. ‘In Love with a Master’ is the best book I have written, and the reviews so far have been absolutely spectacular in their praise… but, too many people through too many social media outlets are spoiling the book's conclusion for potential readers.

Removing the book from sale is the only option I have left.

If you would like to buy the sequel to ‘Interview with a Master', I would urge you to download your copy immediately.

I am enormously proud of ‘In Love with a Master’ and it distresses me that I am forced to take this action. I wanted everyone to enjoy the book, but sadly too many are spoiling the story's plot line.

I will say it again – ‘In Love with a Master’ is the best book I have written. I hope you will read it while you still can.

Removing the book from sale is the only option I have left.
If you would like to buy the sequel to ‘Interview with a Master', I would urge you to download your copy immediately.
I am enormously proud of ‘In Love with a Master’ and it distresses me that I am forced to take this action. I wanted everyone to enjoy the book, but sadly too many are spoiling the story's plot line.
I will say it again – ‘In Love with a Master’ is the best book I have written. I hope you will read it while you still can.

I have never heard of such foolishness before in my life.  Why would an author pull a book that appears to be selling good just because of a few spoilers??  If I am going through reviews and a spot a spoiler, I just pass on and go to the next review.  I never let a spoiler sway my decision on whether or not I am going to purchase a book.  Several of the replies to the post believe this is a marketing ploy to generate more sales and that they believe the author will not pull the book.  If the author is really serious, why not just pull the book right now.....why wait?  I am just really confused on why this is being done.  If I had not already purchased his books and saw this post, I might just reconsider my purchase.  I feel that the author is making a HUGE mistake in doing this, whatever his end result or desire may be.

So my question to all the authors out there.....is this something you would do? And have you ever heard of this being done before?

Fellow readers......any thoughts??



Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I've seen several fellow bloggers talking about this today, but this is the first time I got to read the story in its' entirety. This is crazy. Definitely a marketing ploy in my opinion. There was a rather large feed about it on Facebook earlier this afternoon and I completely agree with what most people were saying. It's selfish and ridiculous of the author to do this. Not to mention how egotistical it is to praise your own book. I'd never heard of him and after this drama, I am not sure I would like to. Which really is sad considering my whole angle is "guys in the book world"!

    ReplyDelete