Monday, January 19, 2015

Book Review ~ Warrant by S.L. Schiefer


10613019_400653843431307_8432806355599459860_n
Warrant
S.L. Schiefer
Release Date: January 17, 2014
Genre: New Adult


I'm Devon Harper and there are only two certainties in my life:

1. I live to dance.
2. I'm a prostitute.

Do you know when your life is suddenly turned upside down? Setting in action a sequence of events, you never saw coming.


That's what happened to me. My story is not a pretty one, nor is it your typical love story. 


My world was rocked at 18 and again three years later.


My life is a series of let downs. The only constant in my life is dance. 


When unlikely ally, Enzo, enters my messed up life I start to believe that just maybe there's hope for me yet. Trying to get a degree in dance and get out of prostitution might leave me with more to lose than before.

goodreads-badge-add-plus

This book starts off with a note from the author warning the reader that Warrant is not your typical love story.  Many lines are crossed and the main character goes through some pretty tough stuff.  The author also states that the reader should proceed at their own risk - that this book is a dark erotica/taboo romance. 

Well in my opinion, this should have been stated in the synopsis - maybe a warning of some sort. That way a potential reader knows what they are getting into BEFORE they plop down the money to purchase the book.  Nowhere in the synopsis does it state that there will be multiple violent and brutal rape scenes.  I have read A LOT of dark romances and most of what was in this story did not shock me, but for the unknowing, this book will be disturbing to say the least. 

Also, I really don't think this book should be considered a dark erotica/taboo romance.  Not one scene in my opinion was erotic, and the last time I checked, rape was not considered taboo romance.  Rape is rape.  Let's not make it sound pretty or exotic. Yes, it was dark - very dark, but the erotic romance factor just wasn't there, just a shock factor.

The main characters in this book are Devon and Enzo.  I really liked Devon.  Despite her crappy life, she never backed down and was always looking for a way out.  My heart broke for her and the way she was treated.  Really the only reason I continued reading this story was to see how her situation would play out.  I really think that Enzo's character fell flat.  I liked him a lot, but I don't feel as though he was in the spotlight much.  Yes, his characters is very important to the story, I just wish there was more of him.

This story will make you angry, sad and downright frustrated because you know that the harsh and brutal acts in this book are happening to someone every day.  It makes me sick just thinking about it. This was one book that I purchased purely based on the cover and the synopsis and really had high hopes that it would be a really awesome read, but sadly I think the overall storyline failed due to the over abundance of rape scenes and the lack of true erotic romance I really wanted to see between Devon and Enzo.




S.L. Schiefer
I was born and raised in a small town in Ohio. I am the biggest Ohio State fan EVER! I have a husband, two boys, and a pit bull. I’m a country girl at heart, and have no problem sitting outside by a fire or grabbing guns and target shooting. I’m a hairstylist and assistant manager at SportClips. In my down time you’ll generally find me relaxing with my Kindle, or trying to entertain my minions. I’m a lover of Harry Potter and Transformers. 





Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment