Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Book Review ~ Shattered Memories by Susan Harris


Shattered Memories
by Susan Harris
  

A terrible tragedy forced Alana McCarthy to forget a year of her life. Now she is to be executed for a crime she does not remember committing—the murder of her entire family. Lost and alone, Alana is terrified of unlocking secrets buried so deep inside her mind that she's willing to forget the one person who could set her free.

Daniel Costello hasn't forgotten about Alana, and he will do anything and everything to protect the girl he loves. But first, Alana needs to unlock her memories and find out the truth about what happened the night her family was killed.

The day of her execution is set. Together, will Alana and Daniel be able to uncover the truth behind her family's deaths before it's too late?

Click HERE to add to Goodreads

I really did not know what to expect before starting this one, but the synopsis and the cover just called out to me and I knew that this was one book that I had to read.  I am so glad that I answered that call, because Shattered Memories was an amazing read!  From the very first page I was hooked with the unique story line and the captivating characters.  Alana is one of those characters and I couldn't help but pull for her as she tried to regain her memories from that awful night her parents and sister were brutally murdered.  She always stayed true to her belief that there was no way she could have done such a horrible thing even knowing that if she ever found out the truth, she was destined to die regardless.  Daniel is another character that I just fell in love with.  Doing everything in his power to prove that the girl he so desperately loved was innocent and in the process risking his life.  The other supporting characters really rounded out this amazing story and made it a fun and enjoyable read.

This whole story was simply fantastic and well extremely well-written.  I loved that the author gives the reader a brief history lesson on how this dismal world and way of life came to be which really gave me a better understanding of the events in the story. With every page, I literally was holding my breath at times needing Alana to remember the past year of her life - not only to prove her innocence, but remembering the love that her and Daniel had for one another.  The ending left me breathless and I really did not expect the outcome - not one bit.  Matter of fact, it left me in tears and angry, but also left me full of hope and happiness.  I know, confusing, right?  But in all seriousness, Ms. Harris really drew me into this story with the unique plot and her effortless writing - I loved every second of it!

Overall, Shattered Memories is an utterly captivating and engrossing read that was unique and exciting.  It's a definite must read for fans of dystopian fiction who are craving something uniquely fresh and thrilling.

5 stars





Susan Harris is a writer from Cork in Ireland. An avid reader, she quickly grew to love books in the supernatural/fantasy genre. When she is not writing or reading, she loves music, oriental cultures, tattoos, anything Disney and psychology. If she wasn't a writer she would love to be a FBI profiler or a PA for Dave Grohl or Jared Leto.



No comments:

Post a Comment