Thursday, April 6, 2017

Book Review ~ Lessons from Shadow: My Life Lessons for Boys and Girls by Shadow Bregman




Lessons from Shadow:  
My Life Lessons for Boys and Girls
by Shadow Bregman
translated by Wally (Daddy) Bregman
Published February 27th 2017 by Authorhouse

Shadow Bregman, a twelve-year-old rescue dog, passes on to six- to ten-year-old boys and girls the life lessons she has learned. This book can be read by a child alone and is also ideal as a teaching book. Shadow will ask every child what lesson is learned before it is revealed. Because of its short chapters and charming illustrations, it is an ideal bedtime book.

Click HERE to add to Goodreads

Regardless of which bed I got into, pushy old Betsy would come in and bump me with her nose and make me go to the other bed. I couldn’t figure out which one she wanted.  I kept trying to take the one she didn’t want, but whichever one I took, she always wanted it.  You know what?  So what! No big deal.  I let her have the bed she wanted because it wasn’t worth fighting over.  But I drew the line when she tried to do something serious like stealing a dog bone I had.


I’m a sucker for books with dogs on the cover, and could not resist the temptation to request this book for review.  I mean look at that precious dog!  Absolutely adorable!! Matter of fact, the whole cover design is wonderful – I think it’s very eye catching, and sure to attract the attention of the targeted audience (boys and girls, ages 6-10) for this book. But what about the story, you ask?  Well, let me tell you!

Lessons from Shadow:  My Life Lessons for Boys and Girls was such a delight to read.  Each chapter has a well-written story that demonstrates a challenging situation that Shadow had to deal with and her solutions.  Young children who may be experiencing some of these life challenges will totally relate to Shadows issues and her sound advice and solutions.  Each chapter ends with Shadow asking the child what he or she thought the lesson was about and then a lesson recap about the topic which will encourage important discussions between children and their parents.    A few of the topics that are included in this book are bullying, the death of a loved one, and having to move to a new house.  Each story is easy to read and easy to understand.  In my opinion, children will love having the story told from the point of view of Shadow, the Labrador.  In addition to the charming yet insightful stories, colorful illustrations throughout give the book a more personal touch which makes it even more engaging and exciting.

As you can tell, I really enjoyed this book and I adore the cover, but what makes this book even more amazing is the fact that the author is donating all the proceeds of the sales from this book to an amazing organization – Best Friends Society.  This organization does so much for animals in need and I am touched that the author is doing this.  The book is a win for our children and the donations are a win for animals in need.

I highly recommend this book to parents of young children.  With its important messages and the opportunity to engage in thoughtful discussions with your child really makes this a book to have in your home library whether you are an animal lover or not.

5 stars

 Available from Amazon in paperback, hardcover, and Kindle or from the author’s website:  http://www.lessonsfromshadow.com
All proceeds from this book will be donated to 

My name is Shadow Bregman. I am a twelve year old (we think) Black Labrador rescue dog that has lived with my family for about ten years. In that time, I have learned many life lessons which I hope to pass on to the children that read this book. It can be read by itself or read to a child by their parents who take them through each “Shadow Lesson”. I think it would be great for bedtime reading.

I live with my Daddy who has translated for me. We live in Del Mar California in a big house with a pool on a street where I meet many other dogs. We are also near the beach.

My Daddy is retired now but was in advertising and marketing for many years and has written three other books: Spray the Bear – Reminiscences from the Golden Days of Advertising, Seven Friends Sixty Years Later, and My Box of Chocolates -An Anecdotal Biography.

You might be interested to know that my daddy and I are donating all the proceeds from this book to Best Friends, a wonderful animal rescue charity.



No comments:

Post a Comment