Sunday, July 19, 2015

Book Review ~ The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins


The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

Click HERE to add to Goodreads

Holy schnikes, y’all.  I’m speechless….I don’t even know where to begin without giving anything away, so for the sake of this review, I’m not going to recap anything and just let you know what I thought.  I’m a little late to this party, so my thoughts may not matter, but let me begin by stating that this book was simply AMAZING!

The Girl on the Train is an intriguing and an utterly compelling literary masterpiece that has become one of my favorite reads this year.  What started out as a slow burn blazed into this fire – this raging desire to continue reading this twisted tale that kept me guessing throughout.  This whole story sucked me in – keeping me on the edge of my seat and captivated with each word. This is one of those books that I am not quite sure why I waited so long to start and in the end I was kicking myself for putting it off for so long. This book consumed me and I found myself not wanting to put it down for even a second.

The Girl on the Train will entrance you with the almost lyrical prose and challenge you as you try to peel back the many layers of the complex story.  The story is told from three POV’s and the author switches perspectives flawlessly throughout.  It is extremely well-written and the plot flowed smoothly and effortlessly.  Ms. Hawkins is a new author for me, but one that I will be on the lookout for in the future.  This book is some seriously good writing and one that will appeal to anyone looking for a suspenseful and thrilling read.  But be warned…once you start, you will not want to put it down, so just be prepared for life to be put on hold until the last page is turned.

5 stars






Paula Hawkins worked as a journalist for fifteen years before turning her hand to fiction.

Born and brought up in Zimbabwe, Paula moved to London in 1989 and has lived there ever since. The Girl on the Train is her first thriller.





No comments:

Post a Comment